As times change so do the business models. Innovation has become one of the core elements for a company to be successful and sustainable. The challenge of innovation is getting a constant flow of good ideas. I stumbled upon the following video by Steven Johnson discussing how good ideas are generated. It is based on his book Where Good Ideas Come from
Video uploaded by PenguinGroupUSA on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb0ssmoXG1I&feature=related)
I found this intriguing and very true. In the new innovation culture, we are not only required to think outside of the box, but to live outside of the box as well, in order to stay connected with society; How can we think outside of the box, if we are told to live in one? Companies with great innovation success are encouraging their employees to not only focus on that great big idea. Instead they look for those small “hunches” and rewards the small and little ideas that help create that multi-million idea.
Some great points for discussion
- Breakthrough ideas never come in a sudden stroke of inspiration…
- Good ideas come from collisions of smaller hunches and time to incubate…
- How and where do we allow these hunches to connect and collide?
- Is the internet the platform? Or does it inhibit innovation?
- What about Chance favors the connected mind…
About Steven Johnson